Under the general supervision of the Accounting Manager, the Staff Accountant assists and coordinates the process to release escrow money pursuant to a release agreement or other acceptable form of documentation. Handles returned checks by utilizing a report from the bank. Also assists in making necessary changes to case sheets.
Staff Accountant - Hours 8:30 AM - 5:30 PM, Monday through Friday
- Reviews each release agreement or other documentation received as a result of the nullification of a sales contract and disburses escrow money efficiently and in accordance with the laws and regulations governing the handling of escrow money while complying with all applicable practices, standards, policies and procedures.
- Consults with the Legal department when needed to assist in determining proper disposition of funds involving questionable/problem releases or lack thereof.
- Analyzes daily Returned Item Report from the Bank to create a returned item case file for all escrow and commission returns. Uses e-mail notification to inform applicable sales associate(s) and sales office and accounting personnel of returned check.
- Sends a memo to the agents and managers for completion once the returned check is received by the Accounting Department or if replacement funds are received, to confirm the seller has been notified and to indicate what action is acceptable. Ensures replacement funds are posted in a timely manner.
- Assists in making necessary changes and/or corrections to case sheets as requested by sales offices, by reviewing sales contracts and applicable documentation to ensure changes are in compliance with the sales contract.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting/Finance or Business
- Must have minimum of 3+ years of relevant accounting experience
- Must have advanced skills in Microsoft Excel to include vlookups, pivot tables, and if then statements as well as PowerPoint
- Deadline oriented, self-starter, have strong attention to detail, strong research skills, and possess excellent oral and written communication skills
- Must have strong customer service skills since this position requires a great deal of contact with internal and external staff
- Experience with Great Plains