Job Description: Joint Venture Accountant
Joint Venture Accountant
The Joint Venture Accountant will provide comprehensive and hands on support in all areas of Joint Venture accounting for the Client Support Center, and in support of airport accounting operations. This position will be required to work closely with the existing Accounting Group, the Business Development and Operations teams, and upper management, to serve as a strategic business partner to ensure high quality accounting administration and reporting. Areas of support will include Joint Venture accounting, brand partner accounting reporting, balance sheet reconciliation and review, audit preparation and accounts payable. The position will have minimal travel and conduct financial discussions with internal managers as well as our outside business partners.
Responsibilities for Joint Venture Accountant
- Overall organization and record-keeping of the joint venture and brand partner related transactions to include accurate and timely period, quarterly and annual financial reporting.
- Providing monthly and quarterly profit and loss statements to joint venture and brand license partners.
- Calculating and providing monthly and quarterly distributions and profit share payments and statements to the client, joint venture and brand license partners.
- Obtaining internal approvals and submitting UK Group approval requests for distribution payments, using the Group online authorization process.
- Reviewing and evaluating joint venture and brand license agreements to ensure the client and partners are compliant with all key agreement terms. Briefing the Accounting team on contractual payments, such as management fees and briefing the Operations teams on the contractually included and excluded costs that go into the profit share calculations.
- Liaising with local management teams to fully understand and to challenge, where necessary, staffing costs, cost of goods and overhead allocations made to the joint venture and brand license units.
- Provide additional oversight and guidance to the regional accounting team to ensure accurate recordation of all transactions for food and beverage concepts according to their applicable contract terms.
- Assist with creating the quarterly commentary PowerPoint presentations for each of the respective profit centers and review with both internal management and external partners.
- Help provide annual reports to client’s tax consultants on joint venture transactions and help with review of annual joint venture tax returns.
- Collaborate in the submission of quarterly forecasts and annual budgets for joint venture units, minority interest distributions and interest income.
- Support for the corporate accounting team, as well as their assigned airports. This role will also assist corporate staff with accounts payable, accounts receivable, and payroll issues. Assist with the month end close process.
- Perform intensive P&L and balance sheet reviews at each period end, utilizing trending and variance analysis to identify possible misstatements.
- Prepare adjusting entries and accruals as needed.
- Reconcile balance sheet accounts monthly and quarterly as required.
- Assist with the preparation of period-end and year-end external audit schedules.
- Create and update written desk procedures documentation related to joint venture and brand license reporting.
- Ensure company policies and procedures are followed.
- Prepare ad hoc reports to assist in P&L reviews, forecasting, and budgeting.
- Provide support to the Controller, accounting department and executive management.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required
Qualifications for Joint Venture Accountant
- Bachelor’s in Accounting or commensurate experience.
- CPA Preferred
- 5+ years of accounting experience.
- Experience with joint venture accounting preferred, but not essential.
- Extensive knowledge of all aspects of GL accounting.
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft office, particularly Excel.
- Experience with SAP preferred.
- Highly motivated to take ownership and to execute and, where applicable, improve upon current processes and procedures.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Effective organizational and communication skills (verbal & written).
- Attention to detail with the ability to multi-task.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Travel would include one or two airport site visits a year.
- Solid analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to act and operate independently and collaboratively.