Job Summary: The Housing Coordinator works directly with program participants, landlords, community service providers, tenant legal system and case management to problem solve on issues related to participants’ housing in Montgomery County Maryland. The Housing Coordinator assists with landlord/tenant relationships to include lease-ups, identifying units, coordinating apartment repairs with landlord or regulatory body for complaints as needed, ensuring participants maintain lease compliance and managing monthly rental payments. The Housing Coordinator may also carry a small case management caseload if needed, on a temporary basis.
Essential Job Duties:
1. Assess participant’s individual housing needs to determine necessary supports to
maintain housing in the community.
2. Liaise, mediates and advocates between program participant, case management, property management, landlord tenant court and collateral agencies to maintain housing
3. Manages lease-ups and relocations to include: developing relationships with landlords, identifying available units, processing housing applications and gathering supporting documentation, and attending lease-ups. Works with program staff, client and landlord to navigate the application process to ensure timely lease-up.
4.Develops and leads one on one and group Housing Readiness workshops/trainings to teach life skills; i.e. managing a household, paying rent; reporting repairs; communicating with landlord and neighbors, etc.
5. Manages collection and reporting of monthly rental ledger and payments to intervene and minimize risk of eviction
6. Develops and maintains tracking systems to monitor participant transfer to Permanent Supportive Housing, and/or other more appropriate levels of care.
7. Monitors participant’s apartment conditions and utilization of community support systems to gage progress towards self-determination and reintegration in the community in conjunction with assigned program staff as needed.
8. Manages outreach and coordinates/schedule program special events and volunteer activities to referring agencies, general public on intake and general program information.
9. Manages and develops systems for the retrieval of housing documentation maintained by the program for monitoring visits, audits, and inspections.
10. Performs all other duties as assigned
* Active and mobile to move in the community where participants are housed.
Education and Experience Qualifications Required:
* Bachelor’s Degree in Human Services or related field required.
o For social work degrees, social work licensure in the appropriate jurisdiction is required.
o Professional counseling degrees, professional counseling licensure in appropriate jurisdiction is required.
Experience: Minimum two years prior work experience in direct services with vulnerable populations. A minimum of one-year work experience with housing assistance programs in the D.C. Metro area and a minimum on one-year work experience coordinating with community agencies and private parties to connect clients with housing opportunities.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
* Knowledge of Housing First and Rapid Re-Housing principles and practices.
* Knowledge and understanding of tenant’s rights and responsibilities and accessible community resources.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills. Bi-lingual Spanish/English preferred.
* Expert knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
* Valid driver’s license.